By Joanna Sheppard
As women made in the image of God, one of the ways we reflect His character is through creativity. Genesis 1 tells us, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” And after each day of the creation account, God expressed a deep sense of joy, satisfaction and fulfillment: “He saw that it was good.” Good, in the original Hebrew, is towb, meaning pleasant, agreeable, excellent, rich, valuable, or becoming. A perfectly good God created us in His image and gave us the ability to connect with Him creatively in a variety of ways. What a gift!
Creativity can be a form of worship. Through it we can connect with our Creator, refresh our perspective, grow in joy, and give thanks for all He has given. Whether you know Hobby Lobby like the back of your hand or don’t think you have a creative bone in your body, we are each made with a distinct ability to create, reflecting our Creator. You don’t have to be an artist or even considered “crafty” to worship God through creativity.
- Arranging flowers is a way of showing our thankfulness and delight in the beautiful creation God has given us.
- Organizing a closet gives us pause to remember the good gifts God has given us and use them well or give them as a blessing to others.
- God made each of us to have a relationship with Him and with others. Writing a letter shows a thoughtful care for those whom God has placed in our life and is a fun way to encourage and to point one another toward our Creator.
- While God is useful, He is ultimately beautiful. When we use our gifts of drawing, painting, playing music, and others like it, we reflect His beauty and creativity to others.
- God could have made one type of food that would sustain us every single day. Instead, He made all kinds of colorful and delicious foods to delight us. Even as we enjoy and use these foods to make delicious treats, we demonstrate our worship in the form of thankfulness and enjoyment of His good gifts.
- Spreadsheets may not naturally be seen as an act of worship, but our God is a god of order, not chaos. Even in putting together a spreadsheet, budget, or schedule, we use the gifts and skills God has given us, and in doing so, we glorify and worship Him.
Here are some ways UFC women have been using their creativity to reflect our God and bless others during this time at home:
How has God uniquely gifted you to make the world around you “good” for His glory? How can you worship the LORD through creativity today?